Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Oak Ridge understands that water damage can happen at any time, and it will always cause a mess. If you see any form of water damage, your first call should be to us. Our team is highly trained, and twenty plus years of experience will know how to handle any damage to your home or business. There are a few tips we can give you after you make the call. After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
Is it safe to stay in the house?
Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most common concerns.
Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
Wet materials can be hefty. Be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (865) 483-3911
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.