Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
My Home Caught On Fire, What Do I Do Now?
Once the firefighters have put out your fire and the smoke has settled, what do you do next? Entering the Knoxville property can be hazardous depending on the extent of the damage. After you've called your local emergency fire services, we urge you to call our SERVPRO of Oak Ridge team. Even before the fire has been put out, our team can be on the site and ready to hit the ground running as quickly as possible.
Down below we have listed some do's and don'ts after a fire damage event. Please take a minute to review our Fire Damage Tips and remember to call our SERVPRO crew when disaster strikes!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (865) 483-3911
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.